PEMA’s vision is for all children with disabilities and special needs in Kosovo to have access to high quality, specialised services and to be fully integrated into society.
Our mission and purpose
PEMA is a non-governmental organisation working hand in hand with national and local authorities, as well as local institutions and other organisations to provide community based social services to children with disabilities and neglected children. PEMA reaches some of the most vulnerable children in Kosovo.
PEMA supports children with disabilities, neglected children and their families in Kosovo by:
- Providing vital psychosocial services to children with special needs and creating referrals with social, health and education services,
- Supporting families to look after their children and providing respite,
- Supporting and empowering children and young people living with disabilities and special needs,
- Advocating for the rights of children and responsibilities of Kosovan society,
- Building the capacity of local professionals to support and care for children with disabilities,
- Developing a model of care which can be replicated across the country.
We are aspirational – we believe in the unique potential of every child with special needs and their right to enjoy life and achieve.
We are integrated – we work closely with local and national government authorities, other professionals and organisations to help children and young people.
We are independent – we always act and speak in the best interests of the children, young people and families we serve.
We are dynamic – we work energetically, creatively and with determination to develop services adapted to children and young people with disabilities.
Based on our strategy for 2016-19, PEMA has five main goals to achieve:
- sustain high quality services through our four day care centres to enrich the lives of children and young people with disabilities and neglected children, and their families
- become a leading service provider with a national reputation; working in partnership with local authorities and other organisations
- become a centre of excellence to build on the skills and expertise of PEMA’s workforce to support other professionals, replicate our model of care and reach more children across Kosovo
- achieve long-term financial stability
- be a well-managed and governed organisation.